Skip to main content

The Artless Art of “Calling” Names


“Heyyyyyy Narrasshhhh”, screamed a raspy voice from the other end of the telephone line. I bought time with a long, drawn out “yeeeaasss?”, as I attempted to rapidly process and identify the owner of this loud but not too familiar voice. Mr. Raspy-Voice at the other end did not wait for recognition; he continued “Narraaash, this is Greg calling from the Deputy Sheriff’s Association of California. Thanks brother for helping fellow brothers out last year. Can I put you down for $20 this year as well?” “Aaah”, I said to myself “this guy is selling me charitable contributions …. no ….. not this time dude”. “Ahem, ahem..Greg”, I said, with barely a hint of familiarity. “I would have loved to help out dude, but this year isn’t good…We've had some.....blah blah....”, I explained with some arcane reason for not plonking another $20 down a worthless cause, and quickly put the phone down.

I paused for a moment and then thought. Narrraashh! Nushley! Nah-ley-aah! Norris! Gosh, how many times and how many different ways would people mangle my name? Why can’t people get my name?

An avid sports & music buff, my dad had named me Naresh as a tribute to the then-famous Indian tennis player Naresh Kumar (and my older sibling Ravi Shankar was named so to honor the sitar maestro). My dad had thoughtfully peppered my name with vowels to make pronouncing it a breeze. But dad had only factored for Bongs and North Indians to have to deal with my name; even in his wildest imagination, he would not have expected that, three decades after his second born was named, that name would be on the tongues of Serbs and Kosovans, Chinese, Malays and Indonesians, Australians, Irish, Spaniards, and Germans, Egyptians, Iranians, and Lebanese, and by people from dozens of other nations.

Within days of my landing in Singapore one summer day in ‘91, a commodity trader, by the name Ng Chee Song, tried to coax me into joining a metals trading exchange. He had not bargained for a very very tough start to our first meeting; his broad smile lasted only as long as his firm handshake did. His misfortune began the minute he got hold of my business card.; he stared into my card every few seconds hoping for some divine intervention. After several failed attempts, and equal number of furtive glances at my card, he cleared his throat and began yet another attempt at getting my first name right “Na…na..na..sha ….. Nah..sha ……. Na…ley….” trying every permutation and combination of the syllables that made up my name. And then he nailed it…. or so he thought. He took a deep breath, wore a victorious smile, and said emphatically “NA-SH-LEY”, completely certain that he had got it right to the T. Convinced that he had gone past the first significant hurdle, he decided on some small talk regarding names, with an aim to warm up the atmosphere that had frozen still for several minutes as he was working on my name. “Alamak!”, he exclaimed. “Your name one …aaah, vely vely diff-curt one …aaah. Why you Indian people so diff-curt name one…aaah?” he enquired, with a pretty preposterous look. Of course, he neither had much interest in my response, not cared much for diction or grammar, as he continued his victory speech “See lah. My Chinese name one …aaah….. simper one, lah. So easy one aaah, even aaah, you Indian people asso can say onny. Vey-lee vey-lee simple one righ?” Basically, he implied that “we Chinese” have dumbed down our names to make even “you Indians” pronounce it easily. So I asked him how his name was to be pronounced.

“Vely eeasy lah”, he helpfully explained “My Chinese name aaah…is Chee Song ….meh. And my last name is Ng”. And as he said his last name, he let out a sound that seemed to emerge from some place between the stomach and the bottom of the throat - a sound, rather than a word. I nodded sagely, told him I got it, and that it was indeed simple. Wow! He had a sound for a last name! It took me another two years to get Chinese surnames like “Ng”, “Chng”, and “Sng” right. Oh yeah, what’s in a name. Indeed!

If the Chinese did this to my name, others were not far off. The sophistication might have been different, but maul they did. More stories on names of course on yet another blog, some other day.

Comments

Unknown said…
Great one Naresh. This reminds me of my two colleagues Anil Kulkarni and Atul Srivatsav doing a project with a bunch of Irish guys. Anil was called O'Neil and Atul was called O'Tool... Hehe.
Thoroughly enjoyed every bit! Your English is too good and worth using it for writing some books. Perhaps you might have done it already! thank you for sharing, and hope to get more!
Rama said…
How do you do it?
Enjoyed thoroughly..

Thank you Noresh....lol..

Popular posts from this blog

The Trials Of A Hospital Discharge

I have the highest respect for doctors and the medical profession. Yes, there is incompetence in the healthcare system, but just like bad doctors, there are bad bankers, and bad accountants, and bad engineers. Unscrupulous professionals also exist in every sector, including healthcare; a large swathe of health care professionals are however true to their profession, helping humanity.  From my own experiences since 2012, I am less likely to say the same about Indian hospitals, and their administrative systems though. The need for rapid growth, fame, maximising profits, and increasing shareholder value seems to drive bad behaviour and flimsy systems - of opaqueness, unfair pricing, uncalled-for cost escalations, etc. And if one does not have insurance cover, one is left to fend for oneself.   Between 2011 & 2014, when my dad was hospitalised several times, I never questioned the honesty of the system, and paid every bill presented to me, promptly, and in full. I was a recent returnee

Will The Nation State of Pakistan Survive?

I know, I know…. I am not a political junkie, and some of my friends and acquaintances know a lot more about the geopolitics of South Asia than I can ever aspire to know, but let me just take a stab at this subject, to partially quench my intellectual curiosity. Of course blogs and social media are hardly the medium for such conversations; it has the tendency to provide a platform where animated discussions can quickly degenerate into a slugfest. But let me still take the plunge. The title is of course eyeball grabbing, quite unintentionally though. That is however the nub of my story, if at all you may call this a story. So let me get to the point right away. If Pakistan continues its current trajectory, it may not last - not a few decades, not a few years, but not even two years. Yes, Pakistan as we know I suspect will cease to exist as a nation, for not a day more than 75 years since its birth, if trends were to be believed. And its demise may have nothing to do with a nuclear

The King is Dead. Long Live The King.

1984. I was in Kolkata on a business trip. I was watching life go by through the large bay windows at our office, sipping hot chai, when I noticed a flurry of activity. Shops pulled their shutters down rapidly, swarms of buses pulled across to block streets and white cars with flags wove dangerously through a melee of people scurrying away. I soon learnt why. Indira Gandhi had been shot. We closed business and wound our way back home. I innocently agreed to walk a frightened sardarji to a safe house couple of miles away. Having safely deposited him in his gurudwara, I ducked, hid and ran the eleven miles back to the guest house I was staying in as I watched, without comprehension, mobs with hate-filled eyes go after people that till then were woven into the fabric of the city. That day, I saw hate and anger like never before, and read more about it the next day. A small part of me died that day.   Many years later, I was visiting my city, Mumbai for an extended stay. Singapore had bec